Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Saturday night with homemade pizza


Last Saturday we had fun making pizzas together for our dinner.
I made the pizza dough, and Amar prepared toppings and baked the pizzas.
The funniest part was when Amar tried (successfully!) to toss the pizza dough in the air to enlarge and shape it.

I referred to a recipe in a book called "The Bread Baker's Apprentice" (by Peter Reinhart) to make this pizza dough, and in that recipe, Reinhart recommends to toss the pizza dough to shape just as the professionals do. (see the picture)
I wouldn't dare to do it myself for fear of dropping and spoiling the dough, but when I asked Amar if he can do it, showing this picture, he must have taken it as a challange (!), for he immediately said, "Yes, I can." And he did!

Totally impressed, I asked him, "So, did you always shape the pizza dough this way in the past?" To which Amar replied, "No, this is the first time I did it." And he explained that he thought he could do it because it is a same kind of trick as "throwing peanuts and catching them with the mouth" and things like that. "Boys grow up worrying about these things, you know." concluded he with a wink. Hmm, I see.



Well, thanks to the professional-like shaping of the dough, pizzas came out very thin and crispy, yet with creamy texture when you bite them, and the toppings were very nice too. (One was a simple yet delicious pizza margherita - my favorite, and the other was with kale, mushroom, garlic, turkey and fontina cheese.) Um, yum! Thank you, Amar!

No comments: