Thursday, April 12, 2007

Handmade Tablecloth - finished!



I started working on this tablecloth two weeks ago - and I finally finished it today, together with matching placemats, napkins and a table runner! (Hooray!)

Our dining table, which we bought together at an antique/used furniture shop near our previous house in Bloomington, is a very large round table (about 75 inches =190 cm diameter), and so we couldn't find any readymade tablecloth that fits the table on the market. So I thought it would be nice to make one by myself, partly for our second wedding anniversary - according to Amar's mum, it is a tradition to exchange something with cotton for the second wedding anniversary gift. I chose the colors (navy and creamy white) as they are favorite colors of both Amar and myself.

I made the tablecloth as reversible - so I took pictures with the other side up too (the left picture below). I also tried out a table set-up with a Japanese indigo-dyed tablecloth that my mother gave me before my move to the U.S. using it as a top piece on my navy tablecloth (the right picture below). The indigo-dyed tablecloth is a very nice piece, and I'm very glad I can finally use it now that I made a bigger matching tablecloth :-)

No comments: